default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
Logout|My Dashboard
(936) 632-6631

The Lufkin News

Suspect in shooting deaths of Lufkin woman, daughter turns himself in to authorities

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
  • Suspect surrenders

    Murder suspect Kevin McKelvey, 39, hugs family members and friends after turning himself in to Angelina County Sheriff Greg Sanches, shown in the background, on Monday night.

Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 7:44 am

A Lufkin man accused of shooting a woman and her grown daughter to death turned himself in to the Angelina County sheriff on Monday night as family members waited to hug him and a police helicopter circled overhead.

Kevin McKelvey, 39, is alleged to have shot and killed his former girlfriend, Teresa Hoyle (McCoy), 39, and her oldest daughter, Ca’Shaunika Hoyle, 22, overnight Sunday at the trailer home they once shared at 147 Charlton Road off Sayers Street, outside Lufkin’s Loop 287.

The Angelina County Sheriff’s Office along with help from the Texas Department of Public Safety and Lufkin Police spent most of the day Monday searching for McKelvey after he fled the scene in his pickup.

Angelina County Sheriff Greg Sanches said he received a call from McKelvey that was arranged by the wanted man’s family. The call came around 6:45 p.m. Monday, the sheriff said.

“He called and said he knew me and that he wanted to turn himself in. He asked for a minute with his family before being taken into custody,” Sanches said. “People may ask why we allowed him that, but we didn’t want this thing to turn into another tragic event. Him turning himself in saved us a lot of manpower. The rest is up to the judicial system.”

After hugging roughly 20 members of his family — maneuvering around his shackled hands — McKelvey was led into the Angelina County Jail by Sanches, DPS Lt. Mickey Hadnot and at least two Texas Rangers.

When asked by The Lufkin News if he had anything to say, McKelvey said “I love my family” before ducking inside the jail door.

At some point within the past three days, McKelvey and McCoy had been fighting and he had threatened to kill her and her family, according to ACSO Capt. Alton Lenderman Jr. Because the woman was in fear for her family’s safety, a friend of her daughter drove them and McCoy’s 11-year-old twins to the trailer home to collect some of their things. As they piled out of the friend’s Chrysler HHR, they did not believe McKelvey was home because his truck did not appear to be in the yard, Lenderman said.

When they walked in, McKelvey reportedly came out of a back bedroom and shot Hoyle in the head with a .30-30, causing the rest of the group to run to the car. Hoyle’s boyfriend was driving away when McKelvey fired a shot from the front porch that went through the car window and struck McCoy in the head.

The friend drove straight to Memorial Medical Center-Lufkin with the wounded woman, but she was found to be dead on arrival near the back emergency entrance, according to Lenderman. The twins were treated for minor cuts, likely as a result of the broken glass, Lenderman said. Hoyle was found dead inside the trailer when deputies arrived on the scene minutes later.

A neighbor said she was awakened by the search effort for McKelvey around 1 a.m. Monday with deputies combing the area on the ground and a DPS helicopter from the air. She said McCoy and her family had been living in the home for about a year and that, though she didn’t know her neighbors well, they always smiled and waved.

“That is just so sad for those girls — to lose their mom and sister that way,” the woman said. “I hope they catch him. She seemed like a nice lady.”

McCoy ran a cake decorating business, Enchanted Creations by Tee, out of her home. Condolences were being posted on her Facebook wall as well as her daughter’s throughout the day Monday. Funeral arrangements for the two women are pending with Colonial Mortuary in Lufkin.

According to an official with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, McKelvey previously served a 14-year sentence on a charge of attempted murder out of Nacogdoches County. While out on parole, he reportedly evaded arrest in Angelina County and served an additional two years in prison until he was released in July 2008, the TDCJ official said.

Sanches said McKelvey would be charged with capital murder. If convicted, he could face death by lethal injection.

Jessica Cooley’s email address is

More about

More about

More about