The Lufkin District is experiencing everything from rain and sleet to snow around the nine-county area.
The only road closures so far are the northbound and southbound third-level bridges at U.S. Highway 59/Loop 287 south in Lufkin. These structures will remain closed until further notice.
TxDOT crews are out monitoring roadways and spreading rock on elevated areas — bridges and overpasses. Some troubled areas so far include:
* U.S. 59 and Loop 224 in Nacogdoches
* Roadways in Sabine, San Augustine and Shelby counties are seeing ice accumulate.
Motorists are advised to stay off the roads as conditions continue to worsen. Sleet, ice and freezing rain can create extremely dangerous driving conditions. If drivers must be the road, please remember to:
* Reduce speed
* Increase following distance
* Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses
* Stay back at least 200 feet from vehicles treating roadways
* If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes and steer in to direction of skid
* Avoid unnecessary travel
For road condition updates call TxDOT’s toll-free highway condition line at (800) 452-9292.
Also get info at:
* TxDOT’s Facebook page (Facebook.com/TxDOT)
* TxDOT’s Twitter account (Twitter.com/TxDOT)