An Angelina County grand jury this week issued indictments to two men accused in separate December murders that claimed the lives of four people.
Raymond Wilson II, 42, is accused of killing his girlfriend Lisa Zumwalt, 42, and the couple with whom she lived, Sherry Wood, 47, and Douglas Wade, 65, inside a Rivercrest trailer home on Brazos Boulevard, Angelina County Sheriff Kent Henson said in a previous interview. According to reports neighbors gave interviewers at the scene, Zumwalt called Wilson just before the shooting and told him she had become sexually involved with the couple.
Wilson and Zumwalt had a history of violence, with deputies being called to the residence often, neighbors said. Neighbors across the street reported hearing four shots fired. A teenager who was a close friend of the victims went to check on them, discovering their bodies, neighbors said.
It appears Zumwalt attempted to dial the sheriff’s office number, but was shot before the call could be completed, Henson said.
Wilson was later found at his nearby Rivercrest home, Lt. Pete Cooper said in a previous interview. Wilson was then taken to the hospital for injuries he said he sustained from an earlier, unrelated fight, Henson said.
He is being represented by court-appointed attorney Jerry Whiteker. Indicted on a capital murder charge, Wilson could face the death penalty if convicted. He is being held in the Angelina County Jail on a $1 million bond for all three charges.
Thomas Hugh Fielder, 39, was arrested by Angelina County investigators Dec. 23, accused in the brutal slaying of Gary Lynn DeFratus, Sheriff Henson said in a previous interview.
On the evening of Dec. 18, Fielder, his girlfriend and their child were hanging out at DeFratus’s home on Old Highway 69, according to an arrest affidavit. When a witness, who played guitars with DeFratus regularly, stopped by, he noticed Fielder and DeFratus acting strangely, the affidavit stated. After DeFratus’s guests left, the witness said he received a phone call from Fielder saying he was going back to the house to confront DeFratus about hitting on his girlfriend, the affidavit stated.
According to the affidavit, the witness tried talking Fielder out of going back to DeFratus’s home but couldn’t. The witness became concerned after receiving text messages from Fielder’s girlfriend saying she was worried because he left the house to confront DeFratus and hadn’t returned. She asked the witness to go check on the two men. When the witness arrived at DeFratus’s home around 12:45 a.m. Friday, he was met at the door by a frantic Fielder, who said they had just fought in the living room, the affidavit stated.
Fielder told the witness that after the fight DeFratus ran to his mother’s house next door and that he needed to leave before police got there, according to the report. The witness tried to calm Fielder down enough to find out what happened, but Fielder got in his vehicle and left, the affidavit stated. The witness then called out for DeFratus to check on him, but left after getting no answer. He told police he did not realize the severity of what happened to his friend, believing that he and Fielder only had a fight, the report stated.
DeFratus’s mother discovered his body in her carport two days later on Dec 21. He had multiple stab wounds to the face, neck and back, leading authorities to believe DeFratus’s killer chased him through the front yard, the sheriff said.
He is also being represented by Whiteker. Indicted on a murder charge, Fielder faces up to life in prison if convicted. Fielder is being held in the Angelina County Jail on a $100,000 bond.
The grand jury also handed down 43 other indictments. Indictments included:
• Donnie Lamont Wilson, 30, of 7222 Bellerive, Houston, possession of a controlled substance — phencyclidine
• Sholandra Rona Polley, 24, of 1214 Lilan, Center, theft
• Sarah R. Clark, 21, of 126 Saphire Road, Lufkin, driving while intoxicated with a child passenger
• Elisa Danielle Kennedy, 21, of 4453 State Highway 103 east, Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance — methamphetamine
• Joshua Clay Calloway, 24, of 119 County Road SE 4265, Mt. Vernon, theft
• Jose Vasquez, 47, of 509 N. Warren Street, Lufkin, intoxication assault
• Jesse Kyle Hale, 22, of 1246 Porterville Road, Huntington, burglary of a habitation and possession of a controlled substance — cocaine
• Willie C. Jones, 41, of 212 Martin Luther King Drive, Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance with the intent to deliver
• Michael Wesley Skelton, 51, of 2505 Atkinson Drive, Lufkin, possession of marijuana
• Michael Robert Mariana, 22, of 102 Castle Oaks Street, Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance with the intent to deliver
• Zarnoff T. Griffin Sr., 48, of 118 Martin Luther King Drive, Lufkin, injury to an elderly person
• Samuel Tyrone Deason, 48, of 1004 Ro, Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance with the intent to deliver
• Christopher Shane Carrell, 32, of 707 Allendale, Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance — methamphetamine, alprazolam and dihydrocodeinone
• Bobbie Dean Reynolds, 26, of 19449 Trail Oak Drive, Conroe, three counts of forgery
• Bryce Garrett, 33, no address available, two counts of continuous sexual abuse of young children
• Clint Villanueva, 23, of 750 FM 843, Lufkin, burglary of a building
• Juan Luna Jr., 18, of 485 Whitehead Road, Lufkin, burglary of a building
• Elrick Cole Holmes, 31, of 501 Charleston Street, Lufkin, three counts of delivery of marijuana
• Steven Clayton Hunt, 26, of 684 Thigpen Road, Pollok, credit card abuse
• Christopher Salazar, no age or address available, criminally negligent homicide
• Antonio Espino, 60, of 2016 Spence Street, Lufkin, tampering with a governmental record and forgery
• Cory C. Pennywell, 33, of 180 Hemphill Road, Winnfield, La., possession of a controlled substance
• Joseph Alan Mezger, 33, of 213 W. Cedar, Huntington, unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon
• Trishana Broussard, 37, of 213 Arizona St., Huntington, two counts of sexual assault of a child
• Sean Havard, 21, of 1631 Virgil Havard Road, Diboll, forgery and evading arrest
• Dennis Ray Flanagan, 39, of 402 Locke Street, Lufkin, assault/family violence
• Tammy Renea Brena, 41, of 608 Pecan, Lufkin, securing execution of documents by deception
• Sharon D. Lee, 47, of 107 Conn St., Lufkin, securing execution of documents by deception
• Larry Glenn Wells, 43, of 404 Tower Lane, Lufkin, felony theft
• Antonio Ricardo Matthews, 23, of 9804 Morrylane, Manassaus Park, Va., possession of marijuana
• CDE Marcelle Harris, 37, of 714 Park River Drive, Houston, two counts of possession of a controlled substance
• Sheila Anthony (AKA Sheila Hill), 36, of 7574 W. Highway 7, Nacogdoches, two counts of credit card abuse
• Matthew Whittemore, 19, of 10335 U.S. Highway 69 north, Pollok, felony theft
• Deandre L. Lewis, 24, of 708 Moore St., Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance
• Marisela Cabrera Delapaz, 40, of 2304 Palmer St., Lufkin, possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver — dextroproxypehene
• Willis Sturgis, 63, of 833 Jackson Road, Lufkin, four counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver — cocaine
• Michael Norman Gee, 50, no address available, possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver — methamphetamine
• Joshua Clem Miller, 29, of 550 Cox Road, Lufkin, retaliation
• Anthony Hicks, 29, of 1405 Briarwood, Lufkin, theft of a firearm
• Jimmie Joe Vest, 48, of 342 Ramsey Road, Lufkin, unlawful possession of a firearm
• Chester Miller, 51, of 212 Greensburg Pike, N. Versailles, Pa., possession of marijuana
• James Hector Sr., 44, of 5749 Fuller Springs, Lufkin, criminal mischief
• Jessie Burt, no age or address available, aggravated sexual assault
Jessica Cooley’s e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.