At least six Republican House members, including the No. 3 House GOP leader are expected to vote to impeach President Donald Trump over the deadly insurrection at the Capitol. (Jan. 13)
The break in the Republican party is in sharp contrast to unanimous support for Trump among Republicans when he was impeached by Democrats in December 2019.
Rep. Dan. Newhouse of Washington added his name to the list of GOP members supporting impeachment, saying on the House floor the articles of impeachment are flawed, but he will not use process as an excuse to vote no.
"There is no excuse for President Trump's actions," said Newhouse, becoming the sixth Republican lawmaker going on record in support of the effort.
Newhouse says the president took an oath to defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.
"Last week, there was a domestic threat at the door of the Capitol and he did nothing to stop it," Newhouse said. "That is why with a heavy heart and clear resolve, I will vote yes on these articles of impeachment."
Newhouse received an ovation and was soon joined on the floor by another member of Washington's congressional delegation, Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, who has also said she will vote to impeach the president.
"I am not choosing a side," she said. "I'm choosing truth."
Subscribe for more Breaking News: http://smarturl.it/AssociatedPress
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/bd84114d744147898e039ae9a8562fba
- Texas company to invest $150 million in Lufkin, create more than 100 new jobs
- Local college student's snow photo goes viral
- Woman, Lufkin police officer both injured after alleged knife attack by woman's son at Lucky's
- Man held on $6 million bond after stabbing incident at convenience store
- Brookshire Brothers launches online portal to sign up for COVID-19 vaccinations
- Early-morning wreck in Nacogdoches County kills 4
- Intensive Care Unit hospitalizations in Angelina County reach new heights
- Nine die from COVID-19 since Tuesday; county sees 315 new cases since Friday
- Texas company to invest in Lufkin
- Wreck on loop near state Highway 103 being cleared
Receive our News in Your Inbox!
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.