DEAR JEFF: My wife and I have been divorced for several years. In the divorce, I was awarded custody of my son, and she was ordered to pay a minimal amount of child support.

She was having a tough time then, but is doing better now and making a good income. What do I need to do to increase the amount of child support she pays? Thanks, “Doing the Dad Thing”

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney. To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.