DEAR JEFF: My will was done about 10 years ago, and I would like to make a very small change to it. The person I named as the executor has died, and I want to name someone else. Do I have to make an entirely new will? Can I just mark through the name and write in a new one? Thanks, “Keep It Simple”

Dear “Keep It Simple”: You can certainly make an entirely new will if you would like, but if the only change you are making is the name of the executor, it is probably easier (and cheaper) to just have a codicil to the will drafted.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.