DEAR JEFF: After approximately 50-plus years, all persons associated with a will are deceased or cannot be found. How does an interested person (relative) find such a will? If found, must the attorney who drafted the will be the one who probates it? Thanks, “Searching.”

Dear “Searching”: For a will that old, your best bet would be to see if it was ever filed with the county clerk’s office in the county in which the person resided.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.