DEAR JEFF: My husband has filed for divorce, but I want to try to make it work. I have not agreed to the divorce, and have not signed anything. Can I stop the judge from approving the divorce? Thanks, “Trying to Make it Work

Dear “Trying”: Since Texas is a “no-fault” divorce state, there is not really a way you can stop the divorce from being granted, although you could certainly slow the entire process down by simply not agreeing to anything.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.