Dear Jeff: What does a young person have to do to be declared legally an adult? Thanks, “I Can Do It”

Dear “I Can Do It”: Once a minor is 17 years old (or 16 years old if living apart from his or her parents), the minor can file a petition in court to have the “disabilities of minority” removed.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.