DEAR JEFF: What is the process involved in having my husband adopt my son? He is the only father my son has ever known, and we would like to make it official. Thanks, “Only Daddy That’ll Walk the Line”

Dear “Walk the Line”: In order for your husband to adopt your son, you must first make sure that the birth father’s parental rights have been terminated. This can be done voluntarily (if the birth father will agree to sign an affidavit of relinquishment), or involuntarily.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.