DEAR JEFF: My husband is almost blind, and cannot see well enough to sign his name. Do I need a power of attorney to sign a will for him? If not, what can I do? Thanks, “Need to Know”

Dear “Need to Know”: Signing the will on your husband’s behalf (using a Power of Attorney) would invalidate any provision in his will that leaves any of his estate to you.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call 639-2900.