DEAR JEFF: I had a relative who died last year. He had told me that he left some items to me in his will, but the immediate family has not filed the will for probate. Is there a way that I can file for probate? I do not have a copy of the will? Thanks, “It’s What He Wanted”

Dear “What He Wanted”: Even though you do not have a copy of the will in your possession, you can petition the court for a court-supervised probate of the estate (called a dependent administration).

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.