DEAR JEFF: My wife and I paid off our mortgage several years ago. I can’t find my deed, and the bank that held the mortgage has changed ownership and is no help. Is there a way I can get a copy of my deed? Thanks, “The Deed Is Done”

Dear “Deed is Done”: Yes, there is. Go to the county clerk’s office in the county in which your home is located. They should be able to assist you to locate the deed and print a copy for you.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.