DEAR JEFF: My mother passed away last fall, and I am in charge of her estate. Do I need to file a tax return for her? Thanks, “Not Sure”

Dear “Not Sure”: Yes, you will need to file a personal tax return for her. You should note on the return itself that she is deceased and sign as her representative but otherwise file the return as a normal one.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.