DEAR JEFF: My daughter wants to adopt a baby from a friend, but the friend does not know who the father might be. I know the friend’s parental rights must be terminated before an adoption can be granted, but what is done about the father? Thanks, “Trying To Help”

Dear “Trying To Help”: The father’s rights would need to be terminated also before an adoption can be granted.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney. To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.