DEAR JEFF: I am selling some shares of a family owned corporation to another family member. Do I have to report this to the Texas Secretary of State? Thanks — “Merry Christmas!”

Dear “Merry Christmas!”: You do not have to file the transfer with the Secretary of State, but you should check with your accountant to determine whether your particular corporation requires any sort of filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission or the Texas Securities Board.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney. To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.