DEAR JEFF: Against my better judgment, I agreed to co-sign a car loan for my daughter. She is now behind on payments, and they are threatening to repossess the car. If it is repossessed, is there a way I can keep that off of my credit history? I’ve worked hard to maintain good credit, and don’t want it damaged. Signed, “Should’ve Known Better”

Dear “Should’ve Known”: Unfortunately, there is not much you can do other than to pay the car note yourself. Once you agreed and co-signed the note, you are responsible for the loan if your daughter defaults in making payments.

Jeffrey Bates is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas, but is not board certified in any area of specialty by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

This column is meant for general information and educational purposes only, and neither this column nor the transmittal of a legal question via email constitutes the creation of an attorney/client relationship between the reader and Jeffrey Bates and/or Southern Newspapers Inc. For specific advice regarding legal matters affecting you, consult an attorney.

To submit a question, send it via email to, or via regular mail to Ask the Lawyer, 101 S. First St., Lufkin 75901, or call (936) 639-2900.

Recommended for you