New Mexico State University says it is hiring an external, third-party investigator to review the events surrounding last month’s fatal shooting of a student from a rival university. UNMSU Athletic Director Mario Moccia says Aggies power forward Mike Peake has been suspended indefinitely from the basketball team in connection with the Nov. 19 shooting. Peake hasn't been charged in the pre-dawn shooting on the University of New Mexico’s campus in Albuquerque hours before the host Lobos were to play the Aggies. UNMS officials say the review of the events surrounding the shooting will be separate from the legal investigation currently being led by New Mexico State Police.
Search / 212 results found Showing: 1-10 of 212
Victims of a Texas elementary school shooting are seeking a $27 billion class action lawsuit against city and state police, the city of Uvalde and other school and law enforcement officials for failing to follow active shooter protocol, according to the lawsuit filed this week. The lawsuit filed this week seeks damages for survivors of the May 24 shooting who were present and have sustained “emotional or psychological damages as a result of the defendants’ conduct and omissions on that date.” Among those suing are school staff and representatives of minors who were present when a gunman stormed Robb Elementary, killing 19 children and two teachers.
FILE - Flowers and candles are placed around crosses on May 28, 2022, at a memorial outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, to honor the victims killed in the school shooting a few days prior. Victims of the Uvalde school shooting that left 21 people dead have filed a lawsuit seeking $27 billion against local and state police, the city and other school and law enforcement officials for failing to follow active shooter protocol because authorities waited more than an hour to confront the attacker inside a fourth-grade classroom, according to court documents. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)
A suspect is in custody after the shooting death of a Jackson State University student in Mississippi. The student was found dead Friday morning inside a Dodge Charger in a campus parking lot. Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham-Stewart says the student was male. JSU President Thomas Hudson confirmed the student’s death but declined to identify him. Hudson says a suspect is in custody. Mississippi Bureau Investigation officials say they are investigating the incident as a homicide with the Jackson State University Police. They say there is no further threat to people on campus.
The city of Uvalde has sued the local prosecutor’s office seeking access to records and other investigative materials on the May shooting at Robb Elementary School that left 19 children and two teachers dead. The move highlights ongoing tensions over the slow police response and resulting flow of information about the rampage. The lawsuit file Thursday in Uvalde County against the county’s district attorney Christina Mitchell Busbee says a lack of access to information and records on the May 24 massacre is affecting an independent investigator’s ability to look for policy violations by local responding officers and determine whether disciplinary actions are needed. Busbee is conducting a criminal investigation into the school shooting.
FILE - Investigators search for evidence outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, May 25, 2022, after an 18-year-old gunman killed 19 students and two teachers. The city of Uvalde sued the local prosecutor's office Thursday, Dec. 1, 2022 seeking access to records and other investigative materials on the May shooting at the elementary school, highlighting ongoing tensions over the slow police response and resulting flow of information about the rampage. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong, File)
A former student at the Missouri Military Academy alleges in a lawsuit that he attempted suicide after being repeatedly attacked at the school. The student filed a personal injury lawsuit against the school in Mexico, Missouri, this week. He alleged several other students at the school routinely attacked him between 2018 and 2021. He also alleges school leaders knew about the assaults and did nothing to stop them. The lawsuit also claims the school held a yearly “purge,” during which older students beat and assault younger students. MMA President Richard Geraci said in a statement Wednesday the allegations are “wholly unfounded” and the school's first priority is student safety and well-being.
Intentional false reports about school shootings and other hoax emergency calls could be prosecuted as a felony under legislation passed by the Republican-led Ohio House. The bill would create a felony offense for “swatting,” which is when someone knowingly reports a false emergency that prompts a response by law enforcement. Supporters of the bill say such situations cause unnecessary panic, disruption and expense, and can end with innocent people being arrested or harmed. The legislation would make “swatting” at least a third-degree felony. The state public defender’s office opposed the bill, arguing there’s no need, as penalties for false reporting of crimes already exist.
The Michigan Supreme Court has postponed the January trial for the parents of the teenager who killed four students at his high school. It's a victory for defense lawyers who argue that involuntary manslaughter charges don’t fit. The Supreme Court ordered the Michigan appeals court to hear an appeal from James and Jennifer Crumbley. The order coincidentally emerged a day before the one-year anniversary of the shooting at Oxford High School. Ethan Crumbley killed four students and injured six more plus a teacher. The 16-year-old recently pleaded guilty to murder and terrorism. Crumbley's parents are accused of ignoring his mental health needs and making a gun accessible at home.
FILE - This undated combination of photos provided by the Oakland County, Mich., Sheriff's Office shows James Crumbley, left, and Jennifer Crumbley, the parents of Ethan Crumbley, a teenager accused of killing four students in a shooting at Oxford High School in Oxford, Mich. On Tuesday, Nov. 29, the Michigan Supreme Court postponed the January 2023 trial for Jennifer and James Crumbley, a victory for defense lawyers who argue that involuntary manslaughter charges do not fit. (Oakland County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)